It’s the middle of November which means it’s time to start planning for the winter months ahead….and snow. Ensure your Sykesville, MD landscape and home is ready for winter can help save you time, money, and a lot of headaches. Here are a few helpful tips below.
Tips From the Pros on Winterizing your Property
- Keep energy costs down by winterizing. Add insulation to your walls and in your attic. Apply caulking and/or weather stripping to your doors, windows and consider installing storm windows or use plastic to cover your windows to keep out the cold air and cut down energy costs.
- With all the leaves now falling, it is important to have your rain gutters cleared out. Have your roof inspected and repair any known leaks. Have your trees trimmed back to avoid storm damage to your home or any other structures on your property.
- Have your heating system and chimney inspected and cleaned to avoid fire hazards.
- Add insulation to your pipes. During freezing weather, allow your faucets to drip just a little but to keep them from freezing. Just a trickle will help to prevent those pipes from damage.
- Turn off any automatic sprinkler systems.
- Drain and pack away all hoses to avoid freezing and cracking.
- Vent outwards and clear away debris near any fuel-burning equipment.
- Check your fire extinguishers to make sure they have not expired and make sure even your children know how to safely operate an extinguisher.
- Locate where your shut off water valve is and know how to turn it off. This is helpful any time of year in the event you do have a pipe burst.
- Schedule your snow removal or other seasonal landscape services with your Estes Landscaping crew.
Your property is one of your biggest assets. Protect your investment by winterizing it properly to avoid potential damage winter weather can bring. If you have questions, we have answers. Give us a call today at (800) 345-8873 and speak to one of our knowledgeable and friendly crew members.